Friday, September 10, 2010

Fashion victim

I was reading some fashion quotes when one specific question called my attention: one girl was asking if 16 years old was too old to wear a specific label.

The question, obvious for me to be a lack of self-confidence(not knowing what you could or not wear?), had even more bizarre answers: "you should wear it just to stay home or to go to the gym" or "use this label but do never wear that one...". I stopped. The world around stopped. I couldn't pay attention in any of the tabs opened in my computer.

My daily clothes passed in my head. Yes, I wear that label, not only to go to the gym, but some of the mornings I wake up at six am to go to school, and even at some parties. The answers for that quote all said when wearing the label you wouldn't be elegant and wouldn't have style.

I stopped once again. I liked what I wore, I was comfortable, the clothes were nice and, I felt good in them.
I may not look elegant when wearing that comfortable sweaters and converse, but,somehow, I even used to feel styled with them.

If I used to feel good wearing that phrased shirts and skinny neon jeans, that day I felt that feeling might never come again. Do you know when you are a little kid that realizes Santa Claus doesn't exist? or when you're on seventh grade and realize you won't have a charming prince waiting for you? that's how I felt.

All my confidence on wearing my comfortable clothes were gone and I felt one of that stupid fashion victims that doesn't have the taste to wear styled, and then, I felt what I was always afraid to feel, I felt common, I felt ordinary.

Maybe the problem is not on the comfortable go-to-school clothes I wear everyday.
Maybe, just maybe the fashion victims were the girls who created personal rules not to wear an specific label.
What if they like something from that label? wouldn't they buy? Is the tag all what matters? If the answer is yes, I feel sorry for them. They turned into addicted fashion victims (giving "fashion" advices?) into poor little girls that guide their personal style (if they have one) into a bunch of written rules I'd never follow.

I may not wear labelled shoes everyday or have a closet full of amazing expensive clothes, but for once in a while I felt lucky; Lucky to be happy with my own little closet and all the millions of different labels (or vintage pieces) I carried with me.
That is what style is about. It was about liking what I wear, wearing what I feel like wearing, and not feeling guilty to wear or not a specific label; it was about being me.

I closed the quote and continued reading my daily blogs. Even though I don't see my favorite bloggers wearing that label, I was happy to have it in my closet, cause as all my clothes, that popular, cheap label showed a little about myself.

No comments: